Contact Us

281.292.0999

You may also use our contact us form. If this is an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.

Your Child Sick?

sick-child

Is your child sick? Do you need to check on your child's symptoms? Click the image below to begin your free online help guide. Also check our resources page for after hours clinics and 24 hour pharmacies.

check symptoms

Recent Blogs

  • Feeding time with toddlers can be a real challenge. There are developmental reasons why kids between 1 & 3 yrs of age seem to just pick at their food. The first year of life is
  • Cluster feeding is when a baby groups several breast feedings closer together at a certain point in the day.  Usually cluster feeds occur in the evening hours.   Dur

Recommended Reading

baby-whispererThe Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg and Melinda Blau.
facebook

Pediatric Childcare & Wellness

Our blog featuring Dr. McKillip and Shelly Nalbone. Email topic requests to shellynp@totdoc.com

Poison Ivy

Posted by Shelly
Shelly
Shelly Nalbone is a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner who has worked with children fo
User is currently offline
on Friday, May 11 2012 in Info on illnesses

True or False?

Poison Ivy rash is not contagious

- True - Rubbing the rash won't spread poison ivy to other parts of your body (or to another person). You spread the rash only if the plant resin or oil has been left on your hands.

You can catch poison ivy simply by being near the plants

- False - Direct contact is needed to release plant resin or oil, but you can get poison ivy from forest fires, direct burning, or anything else that can cause the oil to become airborne such as a lawnmower, trimmer, etc.

Poisonous plants always have 3 leaves

- False - Poison ivy and poison oak do have 3 leaves on a cluster, but poison sumac has 7 to 13 leaves on a branch.

I cannot get a rash from a dead poison ivy plant

- False - The resin or oil stays active on any surface, including dead plants, for up to 5 years

I've been in poison ivy many times and never broken out. I'm immune.

- False- About 90% of people are allergic to the resin of poisonous plantsl, it's a matter of time and exposure. The more times you are exposed, the more likely it is that you will break out with an allergic rash. For the first time sufferer, it may take up to 7 to 10 days for the rash to appear.

If your child gets a poison plant rash, you can use oral Benedryl, Calamine lotion, or Hydrocortisone cream or call the office for an appointment.

If there is a topic that you would like more info on, email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

 

Tags: Untagged
Shelly Nalbone is a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner who has worked with children for more than 17yrs. She graduated from Houston Baptist University in 1993 with her Bachelors Degree in Nursing and completed her Masters Degree at Texas Woman's University in 1999. Shelly completed a Post Masters Fellowship in Adolescent Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine. She has spoken nationally on pediatric and adolescent health care topics and was a contributing author for a pediatric nursing textbook. Shelly is Associate Clinical Faculty for The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston and LoneStar College Nursing programs. She lives in the Champions area with her husband and 2 children.